Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lady Like You!

Good morning sistahs,aunties & mamas!! I'm so excited about this blog that I couldn't put myself to bed without publishing my thoughts. So here's the deal everyone! I will be interviewing some of you on different topics. I'm going to do my best to get to all of you. But if I don't because I've been trying to hit up so many people. Please don't take any of it to the heart & think I'm trying to leave you out. By all means if there's a topic you want to be involved in blogging about over this "Sister Blog" be my guest & volunteer. What you have to say & share matters & if I overlook in asking you. Then know for sure it matters that you participate. And give me a heads up on what you want to share.

Our first topic being address today is on improving our "Self Image" by following the examples of others. I've asked one of my favorite bloggers that I follow to share her thoughts.
In hopes that you all have an opened heart & mind to consider her suggestions. You don't have too but it'd be nice if you'd be open to her ideas. And this is her story.
(This is Lilika, Inoke & their beloved baby Kolo Funaki)

My name is  Lilika Kapuana Funaki and I'm
married to Inoke Funaki.
My favorite quote is "Every minute spent angry is 60 seconds of happiness wasted."
My husband always says this when I get mad (at him), lol. It works like a charm. And it's true :):)
 We recently lost our first born son Kolo Funaki-- shortly before his expected due date, we found out we were going to have a stillborn. For a time, I felt as if my whole world was falling apart. I felt insecure and wanted to shut others out. I was confused and so unhappy. Then, after a priesthood blessing given by my husband, I realized I had focused so much on the bad, that I had completely overlooked my blessings: I had the love and support from my husband, my family and friends, and most importantly I was still alive and physically healing well. I knew I still believed in our Heavenly Father's plan, so I knew I needed to be strong because He knew I would be able to go through a trial of this magnitude. And so I am writing this in hopes that it will help other sisters who may have had a similar experience/feeling.

Question: "How has your perspective of your own self-image changed over the last 3 years?"

Lilika: Honestly, not a lot has changed. I still have my insecurities. I still have a lot of imperfections and a lot to learn. But for every trial I have been able to overcome, the more blessings I see and feel around me, which then makes me stronger and more hopeful by the time another trial comes along.
Question: "What do you do in your life daily to keep a positive self-image?"

Lilika: I continue to do the things I love. I started running again. I continue to blog. I enjoy spending time with my husband, my family and my good friends. More importantly, I faithfully strive to continue to attend church, pay an honest tithing, and fulfill my callings. Through my trials, I have learned that humility goes a long way. I've been able to learn and grow from the hard times. It really puts life into perspective.
Question: How has relying on Heavenly Father kept you from falling into the world's opinion on how you should view your self-image?

Lilika: Personally, I think when one finally figures out who they really are and what they stand for, they recognize their worth; someone with values and standards. I am so blessed to have been born of goodly parents and to have been taught to do my very best to live by my standards. It is because of my faith and reliance upon my Heavenly Father that I am blessed to have a sense of inner harmony and purpose in life.


I want to personally thank lilika for her strong testimony of not only the gospel, self-image & endurance. But her willingness to share such an intimate part of her. Especially that of losing a precious child during this time of her life.
I know that she & her family will overcome all that is asked of them in this life. So thanks leeks..

As for the rest of you out there reading. Our mission is to help you see today that you are beautiful. No matter how ugly you feel inside. Whether because your not skinny enough, tall enough, wear enough make-up etc.. All the crazy things we women torture ourselves in being & putting ourselves down of what we aren't right now. I'm here to echo what leeks was saying overall in her testimony & that is
YOU IS KIND, YOU IS SMART, YOU IS BEAUTIFUL & YOU IS IMPORTANT.. (quote from "The Help")
And in til you believe that for yourself I testify you'll always live below your potential. And so my challenge to each of you today is to repeat that quote til you believe it to be true. And I promise you in the name of Savior Jesus Christ, he will prove that
YOU ARE KIND, YOU ARE SMART, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL & YOU ARE IMPORTANT & a Lady Like You deserves nothing less than to be remind of that & the true knowledge that you light up the lives of many! And that no matter what you are dealing with God is with you! He knows you can succeed & there is no way he won't be there for you.

2 comments:

  1. WELL SAID! To the Funakis, what a great blessing to know your beautiful baby boy is perfect, living with our father in heaven & waiting for your great reunion!

    I Love it Ova!...YOU IS KIND, YOU IS BEAUTIFUL, YOU IS IMPORTANT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bernie! I can always count on you! Please pay it forward & let your sisters in your circle of influence know whats up w/our blogg. Everyone at one point or another will need a support group. And this is a source I want to extend to as many women as possible. They say you strength one woman you build a nation & I strongly believe that esp for our generation.. Love you sis & yes leeks did an amazing blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete